Thursday 26 November 2015

She Thought We Were Amish

Ooh, so the other day, we went with the Elders to a fairly busy pedestrian area in the old town, and set up a 'free table'. It was pretty cold, but so worth it, because got to meet a lot of people, some who are interested in meeting with us to have lessons :) There was one lady who was really nice and had heard of Mormons, and then asked "Why aren't you dressed in the.. you know?" (she said, making the shape of a bonnet and apron) hehe, I told her we're not Amish and she was probably still not convinced that we were actually "Mormons", but we invited her to come to our Movie Night this Wednesday, where we'll watch Meet the Mormons :) I hope lots of people will come, and then they'll maybe have a better, more correct view of us. Hehehe, ah well, sometimes I think that everyone must know who we are already, because there've been missionaries here for over 25 years, but then I wonder why I meet so many people who have abosulutely no (correct) idea of who we are or what we do! And so, the work goes on of course! I like the scripture, Doctrine and Covenants 123:12 "For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, ... who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it", it certainly makes me want to work hard to find them! We've been blessed with many opportunities to teach those who are seeking for truth, we hope and pray that they will have their hearts and minds open to the Holy Ghost who testifies of the truth of all things!



This week I've been studying from Alma, and now I'm up to the part where he's talking to his son Corianton (chapters 39-42). His son commited a very serious sin, and so Alma uses his wisdom to teach about the Plan of Salvation- particularly about the ressurection and judgement. I think Alma was a great dad- he was helping his son understand these important truths because he knew that when we understand God's plan (our purpose in life), we will also understand that there are consequences for sin. How can anyone who believes that there is no life after death really care about what they or anyone else does here? Likewise, how can anyone who believes that all will be 'saved' and go to heaven, or that all paths lead to God, care what they do here? Where's the room for morals? Well, it wouldn't matter if those statements were the case, because without commandments there'd be no punishment, nor justice, nor mercy etc. etc. (There are a lot of scriptures in the Book of Mormon that talk about this very subject). The truth of the matter is, absolute truth exists! That means that God exists and has commandments, whether or not people believe in Him. Choosing to not believe in Him won't change His existence.


Alma 41 13:15:
O, my son, this is not the case; but the meaning of the word restoration is to bring back again evil for evil, or carnal for carnal, or devilish for devilish—good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful.
 Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again.
 For that which ye do send out shall return unto you again, and be restored; therefore, the word restoration more fully condemneth the sinner, and justifieth him not at all.

However we choose to live in this life, will affect our 'rewards' in heaven (after this life). It's like a boomerang (sort of). Or some people call it karma. Basically, the things we do right now, are of importance and govern what kind of life we'll have. If we want to be happy, then we should follow our Heavenly Father and His Son, for "wickedness never was happiness". Those who do bad and do not repent, will one day stand before God to be judged of Him, who is perfect and knows all. I have a lot of comfort knowing these basic truths, because I know that all the unfairness about this life, will be made right in the end. I believe in a loving Heavenly Father, and know that if I do my best, the Saviour's arm of mercy will be extended toward me, and I will one day be with my family for eternity and in God's presence- true and everlasting happiness :) Life is our choice, and I'm grateful for this wonderful gift I've been given- my own life!

I hope you all are getting some great studies out of your scriptures! Enjoy the sunshine and have a wonderful week :)

Love Sister Grgich

No comments:

Post a Comment