Monday 18 May 2015

Science, Painting and Translating

Sister Herrera and I at the train station

Riding a science bike at the museum

Teaching Somchit (Thai member) basic English

The National Stadium in Warsaw- next to a bridge, and right around the corner from the Copernicus Science Centre/Musuem

Building a dome at the museum (it has an inflatable dome inside it, and you build the blocks around it then deflate it and see if it'll stand)

This week we had exchanges! So our p-day was on Tuesday instead of Monday because of the Easter Long Weekend, so after p-day we took Sister Johnston to the station and sent her off to Łódż, and then Sister Herrera swapped her place. So I got to be with Sister Herrera until Thursday. She's super cool, a convert to the church (she was Catholic and then converted to Judaism before meeting some of our missionaries), speaks a bit of Spanish and is super awesome! We were able to teach a recent convert and find some potential people to teach. We spoke to a lot of people and invited them to church- one man even rang us back and told us he was interested in learning more, so that was exciting! I was a little bit sick still, but we were able to get a lot done and learn from each other, and I was so grateful for Sister Herrera's enthusiasm! She's only in her first transfer, so I'm sure we'll be able to work with each other again in the field.


This week we also had our "culture night/day" for the transfer. Our district decided to go to a science museum here in Warsaw, it's called the "Copernicus Centre" or something like that- it's basically just got a lot of fun sciency stuff to play around with. I was grateful that they had everything in Polish AND English haha because you just have to walk around the different exhibits and set ups and figure out what to do with it all. It was great fun, and the weather that day was incredible- 20 Celcius, just glorious! Later we went to the chapel, had some food and watched a movie about Joseph Smith before heading home.


I wish I had taken some photos of this but oh well... on Saturday we helped out with painting and cleaning in our chapel with other branch members. The walls all have a lot of scuff marks, so we were able to clean a lot and get the Primary room repainted. They'll probably continue to paint different rooms as time goes by- it looks good and it was a lot of fun spending time with the members helping out. And we had Pizza afterwards so I guess that was a bonus too ;)


Yesterday at church I translated into English for the American members in our branch- it was pretty difficult, so luckily I had Kaja (an investigator) help me with it. For one of the talks she basically did all of the translating herself hahah poor thing. I did however translate in Relief Society by myself, and I think I did an ok job if I do say so myself ;) I'm slowly getting more comfortable with understanding Polish- it's an interesting language so you have to constantly be willing to study and improve! After church we went to the city centre to talk to people about the gospel, and we ended speaking to a man from Barcelona. That was pretty cool, although I didn't attempt to speak much Spanish because that language is pushed WAY back in some dusty corner of my brain now :p He said he's come to church in a couple of weeks, so we're hoping to see him there soon! We were also able to invite many others to come to church and see what it's like for themselves- hopefully they'll come :)


Well this morning was a little bit crazy with the weather, but the sun's already coming out, so I'm not sure what we'll do but hopefully we'll spend some time with Elder Hardy before he goes home (this is his last p-day before going home) and I'm gonna try to send off some letters too. I Hope you have a wonderful week, love Sister Grgich <3

No comments:

Post a Comment