Wednesday 8 October 2014

This Week In Gdansk

This week was pretty tough I've gotta admit, but I just love trials because they make us stronger! So it's a pretty common thing for people to say that any problems you've had pre-mission, will magnify and really manifest themselves once you're out serving. And I certainly can testify to that! (don't worry though, I'm dealing!) I guess it's mostly my fault, because I've been praying a lot for ways to improve and be a better missionary, and I know that if we always stay the same and never fix our problems, then we will never grow and then there would be no point to life, because we wouldn't ever improve. SO trials=growth and are therfore, necessary. ANYWAY, I'm sure I've got plenty more trials to come, but this week, probably the hardest thing for me has been talking to people. I know you would probably think "What? Sonya having a hard time talking to people?" but yeah, it's apparently a problem! So this week, I've been studying a lot about courage and confidence, and I've found some really interesting stories in the scriptures. I particularly love in Alma 26:27, when he says

"Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."

I know that God has many a time in the past, blessed me with an ability to talk to people (even strangers) and have uplifting conversations with them. So why should I give up now, just because I'm struggling for a time with talking to people about such a beautiful message of the Gospel? I shouldn't. Sometimes yes, it is super hard, when day after day, you try to talk to people whom you love, and they turn you away immediately, just because you're wearing a nametag. The hardest part really isn't anything about feeling personally offended, but knowing that these people could learn something so special, and won't give it the chance. I'm so grateful for my amazing companion who is always encouraging me and giving me tips on how to keep the faith and stay strong, even when it's hard to see the fruits of your efforts right away.

I'm so grateful for our branch here too! I've been getting to know the members better, and they are just the coolest bunch of people. It definitely gives me motivation to invite more people to come to the branch, and I keep joking with Sister Montesinos (my companion) that one day there'll be a Gdansk Temple because of all the members that will be here :) We're actually pretty multicultural which is super cool. We also get a lot of tourists around here, so we get to meet members from all over the world, and I love it!

Ok, well we're going to head out with the Elders and Senior Missionaries today to play beach volleyball so I gotta go. I love you so much and can't wait to hear from you next week!
In Front Of Stalin's Tower

The Missionaries in my District (apart from the Shaws a senior Couple)

My Companion and I In Front of an Old Gate That Used To Be The Entrance To Gdansk

Sister Bak and I Being Crazy In Warsaw Waiting For Visas

No comments:

Post a Comment